Thursday, April 19, 2012

Miskatonic School for Girls... or School of Fear?


In my seemingly day to day encounters through the monster infested streets of Lovecraft's Arkham, I find myself wondering how I can make my horrific adventures a little more girly, a little more frilly, as everyone who knows me knows I have an insatiable love for cute, quirky, and overall feminine (and yes, I realize the huge debate surrounding gender-neutral marketing... but what can I say, I love pastels). I've recently stumbled upon the answer to my obsession of crossing the macabre with the macaron. Available in stores now, is the deck-building game, Miskatonic School for Girls, based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos and geared towards... well, people who like their horror with a little fanciful friendship.

Miskatonic School for Girls
In this Arkham spin-off game, each player takes control of one of Miskatonic school's houses, and acquires students and faculty members through various means in hopes of driving the other player's houses insane. Did I mention the faculty members are actually Cthulhuian monsters? The last player who still has sanity left on their game tracker is the winner, while the rest of the student body has completely lost their marbles. Although the game has received mixed reviews online, I still have a strange fascination with its beautiful artwork and darkly cute execution.

Miskatonic School for Girls
For fans of this kind of genre, you should check out the books Monster High and School of Fear. Both titles feature undeniably cute characters with a dash of horror to create a delicious monster mash-up sure to satisfy even the most twisted of hairbows.

Monster High by Lisi Harrison
School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari

While we're at it, check out this amazing Lagoona Blue (Monster High) wig available from Cosplay Wigs USA. Now wouldn't a game of Miskatonic School for Girls be even more fun with a bit of dress-up? What sort of costume would you create for a night of driving your classmates insane? Perhaps you have a school uniform made up for the unfortunate students attending Monster High or School of Fear? Sleep well, my friends!
Cosplay Wigs USA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...